26.4.04

JS Bonbons

For Easter K. bought me four chocolates and an egg from JS Bonbons, an independent Toronto chocolate shop. I have since consumed everything I received. The results:

  • The egg: The milk chocolate half was smooth, creamy, if a tad too sweet. The dark chocolate half tasted waxy and cheap.
  • The mille feuille bonbon: Too sweet. The crunchy bits were nice, like eating a Kit Kat.
  • The mocha bonbon: Too sweet.
  • The hazelnut log: There were nuts in that? All I tasted was the sugar.
  • Sea salt caramel: The caramel was really soft and a nice dark brown. The taste was salty and sweet with a toffee aftertaste. It reminded me of a Skor bar.

  • The final verdict: most things tasted like sugar, not like chocolate. This is acceptable when I'm shelling out under a buck for a Cadbury Dairy Milk, but I don't think it's acceptable in a gourmet chocolate shop. Unless of course I'm someone who wants to dress up my lack of taste with an excessive price tag. That seems to be a common occurrence here in Toronto. To be fair, K. and I have a chicken guy, a sausage guy, the French bakery down the street, which incidentally kicks Clafouti's North-Americanized butt (Since when does the biggest croissant in town = good?), cheese people, organic fruit/vegetable delivery, so the city isn't a total wasteland, I just don't understand why no one makes good chocolates in this town. Oh well, Go Leafs! -Zh.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home