16.3.04

Another Awards Show...

means another opportunity to comment on the general stupidity of, well, everything. I'm gearing up for a later lament about the lack (Compliment me on my alliteration!) of decent bibliographic resources on Russian émigré literature in general and on the absence of anything on Russian émigré literature in the glorious U of T library system (Underfunded, blah, blah, blah, I don't think that changes the fact that whoever buys books in Slavic studies is a bit off).

The Bloggies were awarded yesterday. Things that make me happy:
1. Wesley Crusher didn't win. I tried reading him and I just don't understand what the fuss is about. I'm not popular, one person links to me, so there is no fuss. This is understandable. But Wesley Crusher? Ick.
2. Bookslut won for Best Topical Blog and she beat Belle de Jour, who hasn't been very interesting or funny lately. I don't want to wait for her book to come out. I want to read about her escapades now! Both are listed in the sidebar.
3. Little. Yellow. Different. won for some category or another, although it should have beaten Margaret Cho's blog in whatever the funny blog category is called.
4. Howard Dean may have lost the Democratic nomination, but he did win a Bloggie. I never trusted his populist schtick. He has the same education as Kerry, but chose to wear a cheaper suit.

Things that make me grumpy:
1. Chocolate and zucchini didn't win (see sidebar for link).
2. Moby won for best music blog. Bleh. Then again, some fine music blogs weren't even nominated.
3. There's an entire category devoted to blogs about politics, and there isn't one for blogs about literature or art or film or culture in general. I guess that literature and art and film and culture aren't policy relevant. Yes, the U.S. State Department is now funding the Bloggies.
4. Margaret Cho won for funniest blog, beating out Little. Yellow. Different. and In Passing..., which is listed in the sidebar.
5. Once again, my friend despite her brilliance failed to garner even a nomination. Yes, there is no justice and yes, this horse is almost dead. I'm going to beat it again next Christmas when The Guardian Unlimited hands out its blog awards again.

-Zh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home