27.2.04

Sometimes the glass is half-full...

...but after my trip to No Frills, I've decided that it's half-empty. Few things can demoralize me like a trip to our lovely neighborhood grocery store, which seems to like stocking decent stuff for a bit, luring you into a false sense of security so that you think, "well, I'll just pop out to No Frills and pick up some broccoli and a package of those preservative-free, other-random-gook-free potstickers for dinner," before smacking you and leaving you wondering what will be for dinner. I bought broccoli, but no potstickers. The potstickers have disappeared from the freezer sections (and there are three or four scattered throughout the store). I still don't know what will be for dinner.

Of course, before my trip to No Frills, the glass was half-full. I adore my students, if only because they tolerate and humor me. In answer to the question, "What would you like to do for the rest of the term once we finish the Chekhov and Malevich?" one responded, "Well, I'd kind of like to read some more poetry" and the other one stated (I should qualify my adoration, I like the very small handful of students who come to class on Fridays), "I'd like some more of those caramels, but poetry's okay." I think that they meant it, even the poetry part. It makes me feel less like the giver of a well-deserved day off that I am.

...and I still don't know what we'll be eating for dinner. Nothing, perhaps? -Zh.

P.S. I highly recommend Belle de jour's entry for today, 27 February. Those of you who know me, will understand why.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home