13.8.04

Un Dodo!


F Kobliha: From the Cycle Máj (1910)



Today is officially the last day of Russian Boot Camp. E-mail addresses have been exchanged, promises to stay in touch have been made, and our decision to study Russian appears reasonable. After intensive language programs I always find that I feel invincible and deflated with regards to my language abilities. An excellent grade in a language class must mean that I'm smart. Of course I'll get better. But then comes the realization that once I'm no longer living in a hermeneutically sealed learning environment, it will be harder to improve. Russian has been my sole focus for the past eight weeks and now I'll once again need to focus on other things, not only school-related things, but also life-related things. It's easy to improve at a shockingly quick rate when one doesn't have to cook, clean, go grocery shopping, fill out grant forms, teach, etc. I think that it would get boring, though, forever focussing on my language skills and I'd miss K. too much. Forever missing K. too much is not worth any amount of language proficiency in the world. Really. -Zh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home