21.5.04

On Location: Kalaloch

In a language pedagogy class I learned that every word in every language has a cluster of essential characteristics attached to it. These traits not only tend to vary from language to language, but also from native speaker to native speaker. For example, when K. hears the word "water," she thinks of fresh water, specifically of lakes, which would explain why she likes the smell of Lake Ontario. I, on the other hand, think that fresh water stinks. If I could hold my breath indefinitely down by the Toronto waterfront, I would. pm low tide
Although I was born near fresh water, during the years spent in the Pacific Northwest, the core traits of "water" have gradually shifted for me. Before some smart aleck points out the Renton has a river running through it and is also on a lake, I have to say that they just don't stick in my mind like the ocean does. Perhaps I'm a romantic (not the sappy, driveling type, but the Lord Byron type) at heart. -Zh.

Mom's Picture of the Ocean
P.S. My mom took the picture to your right. Now you know where I get it from.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home