11.4.04

28 Days Later

K. and I stayed in last night and watched 28 Days Later, which did exactly what it was supposed to: scared the pants off both of us. This demonstrates the kind of extreme wooses we are. If you had been standing outside the bedroom, you would have heard our girlish shrieks, even though we knew what was going to happen because the film abides by the rules of genre:

1. If you go into a dark place alone, there will be a baddie waiting for you.
2. Never trust anyone who lives in an isolated manor.
3. The one who does the most philosophizing on screen is a baddie.
4. Fire/light at night is always a bad idea.
5. Once a good guy enters some sort of reverie, a baddie will appear.
6. The oldest member of the good-guy gang has to be killed off, while the youngest member always lives. Hello future of humanity!

I don't really have much more to say. I'd like to think that 28 Days Later was smarter than most horror films, but I don't watch horror films on a regular basis, so I have nothing against which to compare it. Aspects of the mise-en-scène were smarter than I had expected, i.e. the Laocoon statue, which not only symbolizes the end of traditional civilization (I'm assuming that this is a common motif in these types of movies), but also signals that the army platoon living in the house is doomed once our heroes enter.

Another reason I'd like to think that Boyle made a more-intelligent-than-average horror movie is the original theatrical-release ending, which K. and I both preferred, is included on the DVD, and was obviously too smart for most audiences because (spoiler) people thought that Hannah and Selina were walking off to their doom. Hello! What do you think the significance of the plane is? Do you need the ramifications of it handed to you on a silver platter? There will be procreation (end spoiler). Really.

There should be a conclusion here, but I'm hungry and K.'s cooking, therefore I'm a too distracted. Insert your own. -Zh.

Related links

More on being an utter pussy when it comes to watching horror movies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home